Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sell more to squeeze the shorts!!!

U.S. Exchanges Said to Seek Targeted Short Sales Ban
"Oct. 10 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. exchanges may seek to impose a temporary ban on short sales for individual stocks that plunge... Under the plan, a stock that ends trading with a loss of at least 20 percent would be protected from short sellers for the following three days, the people said..."

So... hmm... if I am shorting the hell out of a name, even if I only started when it was already down 8-10%, and it starts to get to maybe 15 or 16% down on the day, I would probably slow my short selling right down or even start to cover some or all of the position under this 20%/3day ruling - so yes, that might actually work. Yay! Then my bear-raiding buddies and I can whack it again the next day for another 15-16% and the following day for another 15-16%. Cool.

Oh, wait... But what if I want to squeeze the short sellers that have smacked down a stock I am holding in my portfolio by 15-16%... What would I do? Well, towards the close, I might go and sell the hell out of it to get it to breach the 20% fall for the day limit and then pile in long the next few days to force the shorts to cover under the 3 day ban.

It may not even be a name I already hold - I could short sell just enough to force it through the 20% mark and then cover quickly and pile in long as above.

Of course, I may actually fail to get it down more than 20%, since as a short squeezer trying to drive the stock up, I will be shorting hard into a lot of buying by bears covering their shorts that day so they can drive it down on following days (you following this?) So if I don't get it trading more than 20% down, I can still enjoy the ride, i.e. make money on my short the next day and decide what to do later.

Neat. We need a bit more volatility and uncertainty in this market to keep things interesting.

.
::


No comments:

------------------------- Disclaimer -------------------------

Information and analysis on this site is provided for informational purposes or entertainment only. Nothing herein should be interpreted as personalized investment advice. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security. None of the information on this site is guaranteed to be correct, and anything written here should be considered subject to independent verification. You, and you alone, are solely responsible for any investment decisions you make.
Good luck!
Hedge Thing