Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm so old that...

... I remember Barings and James Capel and WICO and BZW and Warburgs and Hoare Govett and Vickers da Costa

... I remember what people do when E F Hutton speaks, and who measures success one investor at a time

... I remember the sound of a stock chart being printed on a dot matrix printer

... I remember the IBM PC-XT (and its super fast 8088 processor) which we shared at work

... I remember searching for "sex" on Altavista

... I remember floppy disks (that really were floppy)

... I remember Bloomberg terminals with big ball keyboards (with Chiclet buttons)

... I once worked for Rowe and Pitman (or was it Rowak?)

... My first boss had been a partner at Phillips and Drew

... I remember Big Eight accounting houses

... I remember when Greed, for want of a better word, was good

... I used to think "who would read research from Goldman Sachs or Merrill Lynch in Asia?"

... I remember the first time Security Pacific started making Hoare Govett partners very very rich

... I remember that time when the KLSE traded more than the NYSE

... I remember Glass-Steagall

... I remember Pan-El

... I bought Aokam

... I broked to Scudder and Twentieth Century

... I remember horrible toilets on company visits in Shanghai... and holding on until back in your own hotel

... I remember small fish being dried in the sun along Boat Quay in Singapore

... I remember when every bank and broker had at least one junk available for booze cruises in Hong Kong

... I remember when Thailand was going to be the next Malaysia

... I remember Green Island Cement

... I remember ConsPlant

... I remember when Jardine Matheson had stock code 15

... I remember when First Pacific was definitely going to be the next hong

... I remember not being able to buy shares in Korea, Taiwan and India (and China) at all

... I remember Communist China

... I remember bloody coups and protests in Asia

... I remember watching the end of the Vietnam war on TV

... I remember asking somebody what "a hedge fund" was

... I remember TED Spreads under 300 points

.
::


No comments:

------------------------- Disclaimer -------------------------

Information and analysis on this site is provided for informational purposes or entertainment only. Nothing herein should be interpreted as personalized investment advice. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security. None of the information on this site is guaranteed to be correct, and anything written here should be considered subject to independent verification. You, and you alone, are solely responsible for any investment decisions you make.
Good luck!
Hedge Thing